Where to find
Every Ship starts out with an initial stock of 2 Chainshots stashed in each of the Ship's Cannonball Barrels. Additional Chainshots can be found in Resource Barrels (especially Cannonball Barrels), Storage Crates and Rowboat Chests all over The Sea of Thieves. Chainshots can also be unloaded from previously loaded Cannons.
Like any Cannonballs, Chainshots are mainly used as ammunition for loading up and shooting with Cannons. A Chainshot needs to be loaded inside an empty Cannon before it can be used as ammunition. Once a Cannon is loaded, the player can manually aim the cannon with
Directional keys and then Shoot the Chainshot with the
Primary Use key. Chainshots fire at a lower arc than regular Cannonballs and do very little damage to the Hull of a Ship. However, when a Chainshot hits a Mast, Wheel or Capstan of the Ship, they will immediately break, making it useful for targeting a Ship's mobility instead of trying to create holes in the deck.
- Up to 5 Chainshots can be held in a player's inventory at one time.
- A single Chainshot can be loaded into any Cannon, signified by a fuse appearing on the back of the Cannon.
- Up to 100 Chainshots can be stored in one storage space of a Barrel at a time. A single Ship's Cannonball Barrel can carry up to 3 pages worth (i.e. 4800) of Chainshots.
- Up to 20 Chainshots can be stored in one storage space of the Rowboat Chest. A single Rowboat's Chest can carry a maximum of 2 pages worth (i.e. 640) of Chainshots.
- Up to 100 Chainshots can be stored in one storage space of a Storage Crate. A single Storage Crate can carry up to 1800 Chainshots.
Small cannonballs chained together, which wrap around masts, wheels and capstans to tear them apart!