Fire is a lingering Hazard that continuously damages anything around it and can spread from source to source. Any Players or Skeletons that come to contact with fire will start burning and taking damage over time. Contact with fire does about 33% damage to the Players until it disappears. Fire can spread between any burning Players and Skeletons upon contact.
Fire cannot spread on Land, it can spread on the wood of Ships. Fire will slowly start causing damage to any Masts, Wheels, Capstans and walls of a Hull that it spreads to. It generally takes around 1-2 minutes of burning to cause a single injury to the ship.
It is worth noting that fire cannot create holes in the hull if it is present only in the top deck. Fire cannot spread around in the lower decks if there is a layer of water collected on the floor. In the specific case of the Sloop, pirates must manually keep fire out from the cabin under the poop deck (where the map is located), since a water layer cannot be made in this area to deter fire damage.
Fire on ships and players can be doused when upon contact with any source of Water, be it Water gathered in Buckets, or water from Rain. Players on fire can simply walk into a body of water or use the Bucket to throw gathered water on themselves with the
Secondary Use Button(/). On a Ship, Players have easy access to water from the Water Barrel. A bucket's worth of water is enough to extinguish up to three tiles of fire on a ship.
Sources of Fire
- Players can spread Fire using Firebombs found from Barrels, either by throwing them or firing them from Cannons.
- Players can use the Ashen Winds Skull received from defeated Ashen Lords as a Flamethrower-type Weapon.
- Skeleton Ships at the Skeleton Fleet World Event will shoot Firebombs at Player Ships.
- Gunpowder Barrel explosions spread fire to any Creatures or Ships in its blast radius.
- Rocks falling from erupting volcanoes quickly spread fire around any struck ships.
- Lightning strikes in Storms cause fires, but are usually quickly extinguished by rain.
- Prolonged contact with burning players or creatures will cause fire to spread from one entity to another.
- This makes for a risky but effective method for fighting skeletons, spreading the fire from a single Firebomb to an entire group of Skeletons.
- Leaving food burning on the Ship's Stove for 5 minutes will start a fire.
- Explosions from the Chest of Rage will set fire to ships, players, and creatures within their radius.
- Flame Phantom Cannonballs act identically to Firebombs, but can only be used with Cannons. These are also shot by Ghost Ships.
- Most Ashen Lord attacks cause and spread fire.
- Campfires can ignite players if close contact is made.
- Fires on ships cause black smoke that can be seen from afar.
- Any players on fire will hear an ominous sound and start coughing uncontrollably.
- The masts of a ship quickly go up in flames, detonating any Gunpowder Barrels that are placed on the Crow's Nest.
- Fire can go through the wood between decks and spread to a different deck spontaneously.
- Any Captured Animals on board will die to fire.
- Any Animals killed by fire leave behind Cooked or Burnt Meat.
- All Cargo Crates can be damaged by Fire.
- Pets will try to hide from spreading fire.
- Uninterrupted fire takes 6–8 minutes to sink any of the three types of ship from one patch of fire on the top deck, depending on the precise location where the fire started.
- Fire can also be doused with a bucket of Vomit.
- Fire can be used to eliminate groups of skeletons quickly, especially during Fortress raids. Kiting them amongst those that are burning will allow the flames to spread within the group, killing them in short order.