|Duration||May 26th - June 9th, 2022|
|← Previous||Next →|
|The Shrouded Deep||The Forsaken Hunter|
Lost Sands is the fourth Adventure in Sea of Thieves and was available from May 26th to June 9th. This adventure was be the first to feature a branching story and long lasting effects based upon the overall community's choices. You have a choice, will you deliver the supplies needed to help Merrick rebuild Golden Sands Outpost, or will you side with the Reaper's Bones and ensure the outpost remains destroyed, furthering The Servant of the Flame's nefarious plans?
Out on the lawless Sea of Thieves, Outposts are the closest thing to civilization, with any number of traders and tavern-keepers eager to help pirates empty their holds of treasure and kick back with a well-deserved grog.
Small wonder, then, that the unexpected shrouding of Golden Sands Outpost – previously one of the more charming and cheerful ports of call – was a loss felt by many, and proof that The Reaper’s Bones are determined to oust the Trading Companies once and for all.
When Lost Sands arrives on May 26th, pirates will be able to help or hinder Merrick’s plans as they see fit, both by actively taking part in the Adventure and seizing other opportunities to tip the scales. Speaking to Larinna to begin the Adventure and then choosing to follow either the Hunter’s Path or Servant’s Path will ensure that your actions contribute to Golden Sands’ resurrection or its ruin.
Even outside the Adventure, Merrick will accept donations of fruit and wood crates to help Golden Sands’ cause, along with cloth, rum bottles and the Reapers’ Relic Caches for safe disposal. Alternatively, players loyal to the Reapers should look for distinctive Soulflame Rowboats. Destroying these near Golden Sands will unleash supernatural energies and fortify the fog, hampering the rebuilding efforts. Sticky-fingered Reapers can also swipe special supplies before they reach Merrick and deliver them to the Servant of the Flame to cause further chaos.
Whichever path you choose, expect Golden Sands to be a lively destination for the duration of ‘Lost Sands’ as both sides seek to exert their will upon the waves. The Adventure will be live until June 9th, and what happens to the Outpost in its wake is entirely up to you…
Adventure Recap before The Forsaken Hunter
New arrivals on the Sea of Thieves may not remember Golden Sands Outpost as anything other than a desolate wasteland, let alone recall its days as an appealing destination for anyone looking to trade, but the island was once considered an idyllic rest stop at the heart of the Shores of Plenty.
That changed overnight when Golden Sands was suddenly drenched in a dense fog; an event that kickstarted the ‘Shrouded Islands’ Adventure and the beginning of an assault that saw the Outpost’s residents kidnapped by Flameheart’s forces, then imprisoned in six imposing Sea Forts.
While courageous crews ultimately arranged a daring rescue that saw the island’s inhabitants released from captivity, Golden Sands itself remained shrouded and abandoned – at least, until Merrick arrived on the scene…
Time spent with Belle aboard the Killer Whale offered Merrick unique insight into what had kept the Outpost from recovering in the wake of ‘Shrouded Islands’. The answer, as it turned out, was lying beneath the very beaches that gave Golden Sands its name.
Accompanied by some willing residents who were keen to return home, Merrick proceeded to unearth hidden Relic Caches buried by members of The Reaper’s Bones. These secret stashes were intended to both cloak the Outpost and thin the barrier that separates the living world from the ghostly Sea of the Damned, furthering Flameheart’s agenda.
Unsurprisingly, the Servant of the Flame was less than pleased by this sudden interference in his father’s master plan. Having learned of Merrick’s reconstruction efforts from his avian spies, the Servant vowed to replace any Relics that had been destroyed, sending forth Reapers to cast Golden Sands even further into ruin.
The stage was now set for an intense confrontation between two unlikely opponents, each joined by more loyal pirates as the days went on and both sides determined to prevail. Pirates who sailed in Merrick’s name found themselves delivering much-needed supplies to the Outpost, while swiping Relic Caches from the Reapers ferrying them in aboard dangerous Soulflame Rowboats.
The Servant’s allies, meanwhile, strove to escort those same Relic Caches safely to the intended destination, then destroy their Rowboats on the beaches of Golden Sands itself, unleashing ethereal energy to plunge the island further into darkness. If they were able to make off with Merrick’s supplies along the way, so much the better.
It was Team Merrick standing triumphant when this contest concluded, though an early lead and the determined efforts of The Reaper’s Bones almost saw the Outpost evacuated for good. With the Servant in reluctant retreat, the denizens of Golden Sands returned home at last – and so did Merrick, bowing out gracefully and setting a course for Stephen’s Spoils to resume his culinary duties with The Hunter’s Call.
- Speak with Merrick.
- Speak with a shadowy figure
- This mysterious observer is lurking at Wanderers Refuge.
- Deliver Tina's Crate of Rum Bottles in perfect condition.
- Rum bottles will break if they're dropped or jolted. Watch your step!
- Deliver Sharon's Crate of Sailcloth in perfect condition.
- Sailcloth will spoil if it gets wet from storms or seawater.
- Safely destroy a stolen Soulflame Rowboat.
- Smuggle a Relic Cache.
- Destroy your Soulflame Rowboat near Golden Sands.
- Read one of Merrick's journals.
- Read all of Merrick's journals. (4)
- Read one of The Servant's journals.
- Read all of The Servant's journals. (4)
|Saviour of Golden Sands Sails||"Sails hand-made from Sharon's Sailcloth, awarded to those who fought to save Golden Sands Outpost."||Complete the Hunter's Path to earn the Saviour of Golden Sands Sails.|
|The Servant's Lantern||"Shine light on dark conspiracies with this lantern, awarded to those who worked to shroud Golden Sands Outpost."||Complete the Servant's Path to earn the Servant of the Flame's Lantern.|
|Victor of Golden Sands||"A Title awarded to those who fought to decide the fate of Golden Sands Outpost."||Complete all Deeds in the Adventure to earn this Title.|
Chapter One: The Adventure Begins...
- As you approach any Outpost tavern, Larinna can be heard beckoning you over. Speak with her and select the "[BEGIN ADVENTURE] I'm ready to help the Bilge Rats! Tell me more..." dialogue option.
- To choose the Hunter's Path and help to save Golden Sands Outpost select the "[HUNTER'S PATH] I want to help with Golden Sands Outpost." dialogue option. To choose the Servant's Path and help to destroy Golden Sands Outpost select the "[SERVANT'S PATH] I want to investigate those strange sightings." dialogue option.
- If you chose the Hunter's Path, begin your sail to Golden Sands Outpost to speak with Merrick.
- After speaking with Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost, you will receive a checklist instructing you to bring certain crates back to him. When you arrive at the specified islands, locate and speak to the relevant NPC and pick up the nearby map from a wrecked rowboat. This map will lead you to dig up the buried supplies.
- Sail back to Golden Sands Outpost with the supplies and deliver them to Merrick.
- Speak with Merrick and select the "[COMPLETE HUNTER'S PATH] That's all the cargo, safe and sound!" dialogue option.
- After a short section of spoken dialogue, the Hunter's Path will complete and the Saviour of Golden Sands Sails will be awarded immediately.
- If you chose the Servant's Path, begin your sail to Wanderers Refuge to find The Servant of the Flame by the highest bell.
- After the Servant's first appearance, they may disappear, requiring you to head towards the ghost parrot to eventually locate them.
- After finally speaking with The Servant of Flame at Wanderers Refuge, you will be instructed to meet them again at The Reaper's Hideout.
- Speak with The Servant of Flame at The Reaper's Hideout and select the "[CONTINUE SERVANT'S PATH] I'm ready to serve The Reaper's Bones." dialogue option.
- After a short section of spoken dialogue, you will receive a checklist instructing you on your objectives and an Enchanted Compass directing you to a nearby Soulflame Rowboat.
- Use the Soulflame Rowboat to row to Twin Groves. Once arrived, use the compass to locate the Reaper's Smuggler there to collect a Relic Cache from them.
- Note: You must arrive at the island in the Soulflame Rowboat. Bringing your ship too close will cause the NPC not to spawn.
- Row the Relic Cache to Cannon Cove and use the compass to locate the Reaper's Smuggler there to deliver the Relic Cache to.
- Take the Soulflame Rowboat to Golden Sands Outpost and detonate the attached explosive near the island to release its soulflame energies.
- Note: You must use the barrel's fuse to blow it up. Detonating via any other means will cause the quest to fail.
- Find your way back to The Reaper's Hideout to speak with The Servant of the Flame. Select the "[COMPLETE SERVANT'S PATH]" My task has been accomplished." dialogue option.
- After a short section of spoken dialogue, the Servant's Path will complete and The Servant's Lantern will be awarded immediately.
As a community, players were able to decide the final fate of Golden Sands Outpost by completing certain tasks to earn points for their chosen side over the duration of the event. Any task can be completed any number of times to continue earning points for a chosen side.
- On the final day of the Adventure, all scoring was doubled.
Players could score points for Merrick, counting towards the saving of Golden Sands Outpost by carrying out the following tasks:
- Delivering Tina's Crate of Rum Bottles to Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost
- Delivering Sharon's Crate of Sailcloth to Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost
- Delivering Fruit Crates to Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost
- Delivering Wood Crates to Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost
- Delivering Relic Caches to Merrick at Golden Sands Outpost
While the Hunter's Path was in the lead, the Fog of the Damned thins out substantially.
Players could score points for The Servant of the Flame, counting towards the destruction of Golden Sands Outpost by carrying out the following tasks:
- Delivering Relic Caches to the Reaper's Smuggler at Cannon Cove
- Delivering Relic Caches to The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper's Hideout
- Detonating Soulflame Rowboats on Golden Sands Outpost
- Delivering Tina's Crate of Rum Bottles to The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper's Hideout
- Delivering Sharon's Crate of Sailcloth to The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper's Hideout
While the Servant's Path was in the lead, the Fog of the Damned surrounding the island becomes thicker and ghostly apparitions begin to appear throughout the island.
The final results were released June 9th, on the official Sea Of Thieves Twitch Stream, resulting in...
A Hunters Path win! Saving Golden Sands Outpost with a 3.2% lead over the Servant's Path.
- 53.2% Hunters Path
- 46.7% Servant's Path
Chapter One Dialogue
Larinna: During Adventure period
Larinna: While the Adventure is active
Hunter's Path Dialogue
Beginning Chapter One
Merrick: Completing Chapter One
Ah great, more hands! Come see me when yer ready to help, there's work to be done!
Merrick: Beginning Chapter Two
[CONTINUE HUNTER'S PATH] I'm ready to help Golden Sands!
The folks of Golden Sands are tough, they wanna save their home, but it's going to take sweat and tears to see it restored.
Tina and Sharon went off to fetch supplies, but they never came back.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm worried about 'em. Could you see your way to having a look for 'em for me?
Tina: At Cannon Cove
Sharon: At Smugglers' Bay
Merrick: Completing Hunter's Path
[COMPLETE HUNTER'S PATH] That's all the cargo, safe and sound!
Well now, would you look at that! Everything we need to continue our repairs.
I'm grateful for what you've done, truly I am, but we're far from done here.
The Phantoms won't let this place be and the Reapers neither, we're gonna need people keeping a weather eye out for us.
Keep bringing us resources and destroy any of them Soulflame Rowboats you come across.
Together, we can see Golden Sands back to its former glory.
Servant's Path Dialogue
Beginning Chapter One
Servant of the Flame: Completing Chapter One
Servant of the Flame
Servant of the Flame: Beginning Chapter Two
Servant of the Flame
Only the strong can see that Golden Sands must fall.
Belle, Merrick and all those weak souls that have scuttled back to repair it, they will soon realise that resistance is futile.
Help us acquire more Relic Caches and explosives, and we will ensure that the fools fail in their plans.
Take this compass. It will guide you to all you require. We Reapers are suspicious by nature and my Reaper Smuggler will only trust the boats they know.
Now go, join my Reapers and take a step closer to your eternal reward!
Servant of the Flame: Completing Servant's Path
Servant of the Flame
You have done well!
The demise of Golden Sands is close at hand.
Your assistance will not be forgotten. You will be the first in line when my father brings forth his new world order!
But our work is far from over. Continue smuggling Relic Caches, steal supplies, and use the Soulflame Rowboats to weaken the border between the worlds at Golden Sands.
My father's plans are in motion, it is only a matter of time until all we have worked for comes to pass.
May the flame burn!
VIEW PROGRESS LOG
Beginning the Adventure
(Near a yellow banner on the south west side of the far east islet, Golden Sands Outpost.)
(On a group of pebbles to the north side of the beach surrounding the bay, near a large rock face, Cannon Cove.)
Digging Up Trouble
(Under a propped up fishing net by the far east beach rock, Smugglers' Bay.)
Setting Sail Again
(By a barrel in front of the trading post, Stephen's Spoils
The Servant of the Flame's Journals
(To the right of a campfire to the north west end of the central cavern, Wanderers Refuge.)
(Under the south west cannon tower, adjacent to the main building, The Reaper's Hideout.)
(On the south west beach of the northern islet, Twin Groves.)
(By a crate behind a wrecked rowboat in the bay, Cannon Cove.)
- When starting the Servant's Path from Reaper's Outpost, a Soulflame Rowboat loaded with supplies would be spawned for your use.
- If you canceled the active adventure then any Relic Cache, Sharon's Crate of Sailcloth, Tina's Crate of Rum Bottles, or Soulflame Rowboat which was tied to your voyage would disappear.
- During the Adventure Period, a Social Media promotion was also ran for the Legacy of Golden Sands Sails, which is a non-golden version of the Saviour of Golden Sands Sails.
- The end of Chapter 1, is entitled "A Golden Hope".
- The start of Chapter 2, is entitled "Searching for Supplies"
- The end of Chapter 2, is entitled "An Act of Loyalty"
- The end of Chapter 1, is entitled "The Reaper Revealed".
- The start of Chapter 2, is entitled "To Honour the Flame"
- The end of Chapter 2, is entitled "An Act of Flame"
- Prior to June 6th 2022, it was possible to track if the Hunter's Path or the Servant's Path were in the lead by checking the Lost Sands adventure page on the Sea of thieves website. However, as the event began to near completion, this feature was removed for unknown reasons.
- After the Tracker's removal, it was replaced with a message that said. "The contest is in full swing and either side could still grasp victory. Set sail and help decide the fate of Golden Sands Outpost!"
- If the Servant's Path was in the lead, the Adventure page would display. "The Servant of the Flame's plan to leave Golden Sands outpost in ruins is working! Want to end his devious deeds? Assist Merrick in the rebuilding effort."
- If neither side was in the lead, the Adventure page would display. "The forces of ruin and reconstruction are at a stalemate! Jump into our latest adventure and help determine the fate of Golden Sands outpost!"
- It's currently unknown what the Adventure page would've displayed while the Hunter's Path was in the lead, due to the tracker disappearing before they took a lead.
- It was, however, still possible to track who had the current lead based off the thickness of the fog surrounding golden sands.
When the paths are tied, Golden Sands looks like it did during Shrouded Islands.
When the Hunter's Path is winning, the Fog of the Damned begins to thin out.
If the Adventure ended in a tie, it'd come down to a game of ro-sham-bo.
- 126.96.36.199 (May 26, 2022)
- (June 9th) Adventure concludes.
- Adventure begins.
- Adventures Ahead: Lost Sands on Sea of Thieves News
- Your Profile: Lost Sands
- Adventures Ahead: The Forskaen Hunter (Lost Sands Recap) on Sea of Thieves News
- Lost Sands Scoring & Points, @SeaofThieves Twitter
- Soulflame Rowboat Destruction and further clarification, @SeaofThieves Twitter
- In case of a tie, @SeaOfThieves - Twitter