When revealed, the Megalodon starts to swim around the ship. It tries to roam in circles no matter the current speed of the ship. While the Megalodon is roaming, collision with it deals no damage.
The Megalodon can charge the ship with its jaws wide open, and then strike, dealing medium damage, creating 2-5 breaches in the hull, pushing players on upper deck off the ship. This is the only attack this boss currently has.
Both cannons and hand weapons can damage the Megalodon. Killing it is easy, but time-consuming engagement, and can be done even by one player on Sloop with enough resources.
Escaping the Megalodon is even easier. It rarely attacks if the ship (even the Sloop) is going full speed, and retreats after players getting near any island. It can stalk players for a long time though, and return after they sailed away from the island.
In the Shrouded Spoils update, several new Megalodon skins and names were added, giving the creature a variety of looks. Accommodations were added for killing every type of Megalodon.
The names of these sharks are
- The Hungering One: Spawns anywhere on the map. The original variant which is blue in colour and can spawn with a glowing fin.
- The Crested Queen: Spawns anywhere on the map. The purple variant which has a purple glowing fin.
- The Shadowmaw: Spawns anywhere on the map.The black variant which has a red glowing fin.
- The Ancient Terror: Spawns in the Ancient Isles. The golden variant which has no extra detail to fin.
- The Shrouded Ghost: Spawns extremely rarely, and it is known to be the rarest and hardest Megalodon to Kill. The grey variant which has an orange glowing fin.
The Megalodon also now rewards the player with loot upon killing it. The total value of the loot varies greatly, from around 1000 to 8000 gold coins.
- The Hungering One is the first and original Megalodon in the game.
- In the past, after receiving their drums through playable content, players would gather at the Hungering Ones 'last known location' and play the drums to 'summon' the creature.
- The title 'Shark Slayer', and the Shark Bitemark Scars would be rewarded to players who helped with killing it. If you return to Merrick after killing The Hungering One, he will reward you with the Hungering One figurehead.
- After the end of the Hungering Deep the other variants of Megalodon where added.