|This article is a stub. You can help Sea of Thieves Wiki by .|
The Sirens are Merfolk afflicted by a sickness called the Whispering Plague. This sickness spread throughout the society of the Merfolk and would take away the voice of anyone who contracted it. This proved catastrophic for the Merfolk, as their song holds everything that they are: their culture, art, history.
The numbers of infected Merfolk grew as the illness spread, and the sickness began to warp their very being. The infected Merfolk were cast out, presumably because the illness could be transmitted via contact and the Merfolk feared they would lose everything.
A monarchy was established among the exiled, with a Siren Queen who wanted the land-walkers to pay for their sins, and a King who wanted to come to a peaceful agreement. One day, the King broke the exile and came to the surface where he was chained in an effort to bring an end to Siren kind. When the Ancients feared he may once again walk free and reclaim his crown, he was killed. His soul was bound to the Chest of Eternal Sorrows, damned to wail in grief for all eternity, for all that he had lost for himself and his people. His body was thrown into an Ancient Vault later found by Dimitri. Upon hearing of his death, the Siren Queen swore revenge on land-walkers; she vowed never to stop in her efforts until her King was free again. By some method or another, the Sirens were put to an eternal sleep.
The Sirens awoke centuries later and began to terrorize Merchant ships, abducting the crews and presumably turning them into Ocean Crawlers or other Sirens. Captain Dimitri found a ship risen by Merfolk called the Silver Blade. After finding a chest containing the Siren King's soul and his bones in an Ancient vault, he was pursued by the Sirens, who dragged the vessel down. Though her oath was sealed, her reunion with her King was ultimately unsuccessful in satiating the Siren Queen in her centuries of grief and loss. After untold years locked away, and with the loss of her love, she only has one thing to make known to the world: The Sirens have awoken, and they are hungry...
- Siren: The basic Siren can perform a range of underwater abilities, from scratching melee attacks to long-distance Siren Song projectiles, and have the devastating ability to regenerate health while damaging enemies around them.
- Siren Leader: The tougher variety of Siren wields the Trident of Dark Tides, alongside the same abilities of the basic Sirens.
- Siren Queen: Encountered only during The Sunken Pearl Tale as the final boss, the Siren Queen wields a Trident of Dark Tides and performs similar move-set to the Siren Leader.
Upon defeat, a Siren has a chance to drop a Siren Gem.
- The Sirens were an enemy conceptualized early in the game's development, and can be seen featured in concept art.
- The Sirens use Cursed Mermaid Statues as a type of enclosure that can store people inside of them, as witnessed in The Sunken Pearl, and alluded to in a mural seen during Dark Brethren.
- There has been a prominent piece of imagery showing three people holding up three gems in Ancient murals spread throughout the Shores of Gold Tall Tale. In The Dark Brethren, one of the murals reveals that these are actually Siren Gems.
- In The Sunken Pearl, just as pirates approach the Siren Citadel after opening a door in front of the chained Black Pearl, a mural can be seen that depicts two normal Merfolk Monarchs holding up gems that look similar to the murals of Siren Gems found later on, along with a depiction of a human turning into a Mer in the span of a lunar cycle. The same mural shows up in Discovery Ridge as a cave painting.
- In The Sunken Pearl, just as you exit the Silver Blade, a mural can be seen that depicts the Siren Queen making and distributing Siren Gems to her people. There are Kraken tentacles surrounding the mural, giving reason to believe that they may have been involved in the gems' conception.
- When looting a sunken ship there is a chance that sirens will appear.
A close encounter with a swarm of Sirens underwater.