The Duchess has a chance to appear as the final Skeleton Lord boss fight of an active Skeleton Fort; They will also appear in the second to final wave of a Fort of Fortune alongside The Two-Faced Scoundrel.
The Duchess can appear as a boss encounter for various Mercenary Voyages as an extra challenge that will reward Crews with extra Treasure. If the whole Crew dies during this encounter, the Skeleton Lord will disappear with its Treasure.
Like the other Fort Skeleton Lords, The Duchess acts as a boss fight with a large amount of Health and a range of various abilities at their disposal. They can:
- Switch between the Pistol and Blunderbuss depending on the player's range.
- Use a high-damage shockwave attack that sends all nearby players backwards into the air and dealing increasing damage depending on your proximity to the boss. This attack is highly telegraphed, giving players time to run away from the shockwave.
- Summon additional Skeletons to defend them.
- Sink into the ground and disappear, before reappearing at a different location. This is signified by the boss standing up straight and crossing their arms across their chest before sinking into the ground.
- Eat a Banana when low on Health. The amount of health regenerated (if any) is currently unknown. It may be that the purpose of this action is to indicate that The Duchess is nearing death.
Notes and Tips
- The Skeleton Fort Skeleton Lords do not have scaling health.
- Gunpowder Barrels are an effective tool to deal large amounts of damage to the boss at once. It takes about 15 Kegs to kill an Fort Skeleton Lord from full health.
- A good strategy would be to lure her in range of the ship's Cannons to kill the Lord faster, however the Lord may teleport away.
- Firebombs are also effective at dealing damage over time to the Skeleton Lord.