|This article is about the Skeleton Lord. For the Trading Company, see Gold Hoarders.|
|The Gold Hoarder|
|Related||Shores of Gold|
|Voice Actor||Steven Hartley|
|“||"Flesh is weak... Gold is strong..."|
|— The Gold Hoarder, on the offensive|
The Gold Hoarder, also known by his human name Rathbone, is a Skeleton Lord with insatiable greed that created The Gold Hoarders Trading Company. He is featured as a final boss in Shores of Gold and Dark Brethren.
As a part of Ramsey Singh's crew aboard the Magpie’s Wing, Rathbone was one of the first known pirates to discover The Sea of Thieves. While Ramsey's idea of making pirating within The Sea of Thieves a "fair business", Rathbone rejected this idea and started stealing treasures with the intent to sell them to the outside world. He also stole the skeleton keys from Ramsey, which the captain had crafted as the only means of accessing the treasure chests. He then started the Gold Hoarders as a company that collected treasure from across the Sea of Thieves.
Rathbone heard about a Legendary Island beyond the Devil's Shroud filled with Gold. One way or another, Rathbone found the island, and wanted to take the Gold for himself. What he did not know, however, was that his crew had sabotaged his ship to make sure that he would never be able to leave with the Treasure. He found a throne in the inner sanctum of the island, which cursed his flesh and bones into Gold, eventually turning him into a Skeleton Lord. He returned to the Sea of Thieves and regained control of his company, spreading the curse among his followers.
The Gold Hoarder can be encountered during the Shores of Gold Tall Tale, where he acts as the final boss of both the Tale and the Story arc. Players will first have to navigate to Tribute Peak, solve all of its puzzles to gain access to the inner sanctum, then get through all the Traps and waves of Skeletons until they make it to the Throne Room. Once a player enters the room, Gold Hoarder will appear and the whole crew will be locked to respawn in the throne room until the Gold Hoarder is defeated.
The Gold Hoarder can also be found in the Coral Fortress for the "Dark Brethren" tall tale, where he acts as the final boss of that tall tale. Players will have to go to the Coral Fortress, where they will go through Traps, puzzles, and Ocean Crawler fights, until making it to the Dark Brethren, where you see the Gold Hoarder amongst Davy Jones, Wanda Warsmith, and Duke. When they vanish, players follow a couple more Traps until getting to a "ritual" room, where players will see Davy Jones with the Gold Hoarder, in which he will attack. Although players do have to fight the Gold Hoarder, he is impossible to kill, as he escapes at the end of the fight.
The Gold Hoarder acts virtually the same as the other Skeleton Lords of the Shores of Gold Story arc. He has a large amount of health and a range of various Skeleton Lord abilities at his disposal:
- He can switch between the Pistol and Cutlass depending on the player's range.
- He has a high-damage shockwave attack. He will jump in the air and stomp the ground, sending all nearby players backwards into the air, dealing increasing damage depending on your proximity to the boss.
- Summon Skeletons; exclusive to the Shores of Gold Tall Tale, this allows Skeleton reinforcements to overwhelm the enemy for him.
- Summon Ocean Crawlers; exclusive to the Dark Brethren Tall Tale, this allows a combination of the three Ocean Crawlers to provide reinforcements to overwhelm the enemy for him.
- Teleport; a defensive ability. He will disappear, retreat and appear in a new location.
- Eat a Banana to regenerate lost health. The amount of health regenerated is currently untested.
Notes and Tips
- As with other Tall Tale Skeleton Lords, The Gold Hoarder's health and the number of skeletons he summons scale with the amount of players in the throne room when the fight is started. If you are on a Galleon crew, have two of your players disconnect before starting the fight to downscale his health.
- When the Gold Hoarder summons reinforcements, Crews should focus on the Skeletons or Ocean Crawlers before continuing the fight with the boss.
- Due to the enclosed space, there isn't much players can do other than going at the boss. Try to prepare for his attacks, by keeping a close eye on his slogans and actions. There should be food in the Barrels and Crates all around the room along with Ammo Chests. This fight can take very long on a Galleon crew, so be prepared to spend at least 20 minutes in there.
- In the Dark Brethren tall tale, you get help from Jack Sparrow, where he will shoot a Cannon at the Gold Hoarder, and periodically drop Gunpowder Barrels to help kill him. Listen to Jack's dialogue in order to use these barrels.