This article contains information that may ruin your enjoyment of discovering the game's secrets for yourself. Read at your own risk!
|This article is about the Tall Tale. For other pages of the same name, see The Shroudbreaker (Disambiguation).|
|Story arc||Shores of Gold|
|← Previous||Next →|
|–||The Cursed Rogue|
|“||A Mysterious Stranger speaks of an ancient relic with the power to reach a lost island...|
The Shroudbreaker is the first Tall Tale in the Shores of Gold Arc. The Tale Book can be voted for on the table next to the Mysterious Stranger in the Tavern of any Outpost. The Tall Tale can be voted to be cancelled at the Ship's Voyage Table. Players can unlock three Checkpoints during this Tall Tale. If they wish to continue the Tall Tale at a later time, they can vote on any acquired Checkpoints at the Voyage Table.
This Tall Tale must be first completed in order to access the second Tall Tale, The Cursed Rogue.
The Shroudbreaker Tall Tale takes players across The Ancient Isles to find what happened to the Pirate Lord's Ship Magpie’s Wing and whether it still has clues to the location of The legendary artefact Shroudbreaker. The Tall Tale starts and ends with the Mysterious Stranger at any Tavern.
For a full, step by step Walkthrough of the Tall Tale with Hints and Images, visit The Shroudbreaker Walkthrough Page!
The Tale Book
Once the Crew has voted on the Tall Tale and listened to the Mysterious Stranger, they are given The Journal of the Pirate Lord Tale Book, which they can find and take out in the Map Radial Menu. Any Tale Book can be viewed with the
Primary Use button (Left Mouse Button/Right Trigger). Once taking a closer look at the Tale Book, it's pages can be turned with the
E keys on a Keyboard and the
Right buttons on a Controller. As players progress the Tall Tale, they can pick up or receive additional pages in their Tale Books. These pages may be different depending on the types of puzzles that players encounter during the Tale - some puzzles have many variations, taking players to different locations for a more varied experience.
The following are the NPCs and Enemies encountered during The Shroudbreaker:
Click the button below to reveal the voiced dialogue in the Tall Tale:
Mysterious Stranger's Opening Lines
One moment. You'd do well to heed my warning, for this is no ordinary voyage you're contemplating!
Few pirates have even heard of the Shores of Gold, let alone seen them with their own eyes.
They say it's an island riddled with untold riches, ancient secrets, hidden tombs, and deadly traps.
But you won't find it on any map, for it was swallowed up by the mists of the Devil's Shroud.
This book is the journal of the Pirate Lord himself.
It tells of his first ship, the Magpie's Wing and the journey he took to find the mythical Shroudbreaker-
The only way to part the fog and reach the Shores of Gold!
If you dare to follow in the footsteps of the greatest pirate who ever lived, then take the journal and use it to find the wreck of the Magpie's Wing.
It holds clues to the Shroudbreaker's whereabouts.
Bring it to me, and I'll set you on your way to the Shores of Gold.
But don't be fooled. Only the bravest, strongest pirates will be able to make it back alive…
I wish you luck. You're going to need it.
Heh heh heh...
Mysterious Stranger's Closing Lines
Great Ramsey's Ghost! I heard all the stories, but to actually hold the Shroudbreaker in my hands… I never thought I would see the day.
There should be four jewels set in the base that grant the Shroudbreaker its power, but they've been removed.
Without them, you won't last five minutes in that fog.
Now let me think...I did hear tell that Captain Briggsy made it to the Shores of Gold.
If that's true, she might know the whereabouts of these missing stones. Not that she'd ever say.
Sometimes, even the best pirates fall victim to their greed or hatred, and it changes them.
Strips the flesh from their bones. Gives 'em power, but twisted 'em up inside. Briggsy is one such abomination.
People call them Skeleton Lords and most pirates flee at their approach.
Not even the Order of Souls dares challenge them, and rightfully so, but you… you are going to have to hunt one down.
I have eyes and ears across the Sea of Thieves, if you gather any of the missing pieces, I'll see they're restored to the Shroudbreaker on your behalf.
For now, head to Plunder Outpost and speak with Madame Olivia about Briggsy's whereabouts.
Remember, Skeleton Lords are NOT to be taken lightly.
There are several Quest Items present in each Tall Tale. These Items serve as elements of progression within the Tales and are of no value to anyone else aside the Crew doing the Tale. The following Quest Items can be acquired during the Shroudbreaker Tall Tale:
- Ancient Chest - A Container Chest found during the Tale. Contains further Quest Items helpful in progressing the Tale. Can be sold as a Collector's Chest when emptied.
- Totem Keys - Six small Totem shaped figurines made out of Stone, used to open hidden Ancient Vaults on various Islands.
- Boar Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Devil's Ridge.
- Crab Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Uncharted Island (N-13).
- Moon Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Crescent Isle.
- Scarab Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Crook's Hollow.
- Snake Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Mermaid's Hideaway.
- Shark Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Kraken's Fall.
- Medallions - Coin-like Medallions with Totem-engravings, themed after their Totem vault and used to solve the Ancient Vault Puzzle.
- Boar Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Boar Vault at Devil's Ridge.
- Crab Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Crab Vault at Uncharted Island (N-13).
- Moon Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Moon Vault at Crescent Isle.
- Scarab Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Scarab Vault at Crook's Hollow.
- Snake Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Snake Vault at Mermaid's Hideaway.
- Shark Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Shark Vault at Kraken's Fall.
- Shroudbreaker - A small statue that has to be delivered to the Mysterious Stranger to finish the Tale.
The Commendations of the Tall Tale reveal that there are five Mercia's Journals hidden away in the Tall Tale. These five Journals can only be found and read when the Tall Tale is active and they are only present for the Crew who is doing the Tall Tale. The Journals are hidden around The Ancient Isles Region retelling the accounts of Mercia (from the Novel Athena's Fortune) and her own search for the Shroudbreaker Artefact. Each of the Journals give hints of the next journal's location.
The locations and the contents of the five Journals are presented below. Click Expand under any Journal to see an image of its exact location.
CLICK FOR JOURNALS
What is the Devil's Shroud?
An Ancient Clue?
Comings and Goings
The Shroud Breaker
The Shores of Gold?
Placed by a Campfire on Plunder Outpost.
Commendations and Rewards
|The Shroudbreaker (Quest)|
|The Lost Voyage||Discover Magpie's Wing Ship Log||–|
|Vault of the Ancients||Discover the Ancient Vault||–|
|The Key to Adventure||Find the Shroudbreaker Artefact||–|
|The Shroudbreaker||Complete 'The Shroudbreaker'||Pirate Lord Hat|
|Mercia's Lost Memories||Discover all of Mercia's Journals||–|
|Footsteps of the Pirate Lord||Complete the Tall Tale 5 times||–|
|A Sunken Legacy||Complete all commendations for 'The Shroudbreaker' Tall Tale||Magpie's Wing Cannons|
- The final step of the Tall Tale will keep infinitely spawning Coral Skeletons on the Island, making it easy to farm Skeleton kill Commendations.
- Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults become inaccessible for Crews that have this Tall Tale active.
- The final Checkpoint of this Tall Tale can be used to give other Players easy completions of the Tale, as it spawns the Shroudbreaker Artefact on the Voyage Table. The Player who put down the checkpoint can leave before the item is turned in for completion so that they can still keep their Checkpoint in their Quest Inventory.
- The Totem Vault on Crook's Hollow has been noted to not update different parts of the puzzle and locking players out of the Tall Tale.