|Vaults of the Ancients|
|Duration||September 9th 2020 - October 28th 2020|
|← Previous||Next →|
|Ashen Winds||Fate of the Damned|
|“||The next free Sea of Thieves content update is here! In Vaults of the Ancients, the Gold Hoarders are tasking worthy pirates with seeking the keys to Treasure Vaults scattered across the seas. Finding these keys and the riches held within the Vaults will prove to be a challenge...|
Vaults of the Ancients is the name of the September 2020 monthly Content Update, released on September 9th, 2020. The update introduces a new type of Gold Hoarders Voyages along with new Treasure and unlockable Cosmetics. The Vaults of the Ancients was preceded by the July 2020 Ashen Winds Content Update and followed by the October Fate of the Damned Content Update.
- 1 New Features
- 2 New Treasure and Items
- 3 New Outpost Cosmetics
- 4 New Black Market Cosmetics
- 5 New Emporium Items
- 5.1 Pets
- 5.2 Pirates
- 5.3 Ships
- 6 Commendations, Achievements & Titles
- 7 Media
With Flameheart unleashing ever more powerful servants onto the Sea of Thieves, the Gold Hoarders have lost faith in the security of their gold-filled Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults. Only the most trusted adventurers are tasked with tracking down the hidden Treasure Vault Keys and bringing them home to the Hoarders... or going out and finding the locks they open!
Voyages to seek the hidden Treasure Vault Keys are available from any of the Gold Hoarders’ representatives after reaching rank 25 in their Trading Company. These new Wayfinder Voyages task players with uncovering a Vault Key's hidden location by seeking out the torn fragments of a map buried beneath the sand. To aid pirates on their journey, they’ll be given an enchanted Golden Wayfinder Compass to help them find the elusive Torn Map pieces leading to the Vault Key.
Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults
While Treasure Vault Keys retrieved from Wayfinder Voyages can be returned to the Gold Hoarders (or The Reaper’s Bones) for a substantial reward, there are potentially even greater riches inside the Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults that these keys unlock. Each Vault Key is unique to a specific Treasure Vault. Inspect a Vault Key for a clue to the Vault that it opens. Once a Treasure Vault has been opened, your crew will have a limited time to grab as much treasure as possible before the Vault is sealed once more. With piles of Gold, Treasure Chests and Trinkets to collect, what can you grab before the time runs out? For the Gold Hoarders’ true prize, search for the Vault Medallions and solve the altar’s mystery to reveal the Chest of Ancient Tributes. The Vault door will slowly close as time ticks on, so make sure you’re out before the timer reaches zero as being on the wrong side will see you consigned to the Ferry of the Damned!
The founder of the Bilge Rats, Larinna, has arrived to take Duke’s place at the Tavern. Larinna has taken over the Black Market and all of the related services, while Duke has taken refuge at the Lagoon of Whispers aside Umbra, taking it easy. Larinna will be selling a Wayfinder Voyage for free during the Vaults of the Ancients update.
New Treasure and Items
Three new Treasure Items have been added to the game
- Treasure Vault Keys - Totem-themed Keys leading to Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults, located with a Golden Wayfinder Compass during Wayfinder Voyages.
- Treasure Vault Medallions - Totem-themed Medallions found hidden inside the Treasure Vaults. These reveal the solution to the Vault's Puzzle.
- Chest of Ancient Tributes - The Puzzle inside the Treasure Vault reveals this chest once completed. Return the Chest for a high payout from the Gold Hoarders.
New Outpost Cosmetics
Two Sails related to Wayfinder Voyages and Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults are now available for purchase from Larinna or the Shipwright Shop. These require the completion of Gold Hoarders Commendations related to the Voyages.
- Ancient Vault Sails - 49,000 | Sails honouring the skill and nerve needed to find a Treasure Vault and brave its traps. | Requires the Seeker of Ancient Vaults Commendation to be unlocked for purchase
- Ancient Tribute Sails - 49,000 | Sails awarded for those who safely recover Chests of Ancient Tributes stashed in deadly vaults. | Requires the Hoarder of Ancient Tributes Commendation to be unlocked for purchase
New Black Market Cosmetics
The founder of the Bilge Rats, Larinna, has returned to Outpost society. She’s taken over Bilge Rat operations and has plans for the future, but for now she continues to offer Voyages, bring new stock to the Black Market and uphold the Black Market Archive in Duke’s stead.
- A Mysterious Vault Key Located by Larinna - 0 | Borrow the Golden Wayfinder to locate a vault key of unknown value.'
Desirables for Doubloons
Wild Rose Equipment
- Wild Rose Bucket - 10 | This is a lovely bucket and it would be an awful shame if you were to be sick in it.
- Wild Rose Fishing Rod - 40 | Rose had a fishing rod just like this, but saved it for special occasions. It's too nice to get wet!
- Wild Rose Lantern - 10 | The light of this lantern glows as warmly as the light between George and Rose.
- Wild Rose Pocket Watch - 15 | Crafted as a gift for Rose after the tenth time she was late for a date with George.
- Wild Rose Shovel - 10 | A beautiful shovel that pretty much does the ground a favour.
- Wild Rose Speaking Trumpet - 10 | Wild Rose knew that looking pretty was nice, but being loud was fun.
- Wild Rose Spyglass - 20 | A spyglass this pretty will surely always spot the finest treasures.
- Wild Rose Tankard - 10 | Rose drank out of a tankard just like this one. The original was gifted to Madame Olivia.
Goodies for Gold
Inky Kraken Clothing
- Inky Kraken Belt - 9,115 | Marked with a Kraken Eye, this belt is for a master of monsters.
- Inky Kraken Boots - 9,115 | You should look the part when you're dragged overboard by a sea creature.
- Inky Kraken Gloves - 9,115 | Gloves that are fit for wrangling a slippery tentacle!
- Inky Kraken Trousers - 18,225 | Kraken trousers! No longer just a tavern insult.
- Inky Kraken Eyepatch - 20,590 | Nothing below the waves scares you; not while you've still got one good eye.
- Inky Kraken Pegleg - 27,340 | This eerie peg-leg is wrapped in the Kraken's embrace, a reminder of the perils of the deep.
- Inky Kraken Hook - 27,340 | This hook looks wicked enough to catch a Kraken... but if you're that close, it's already too late.
New Emporium Items
Loyal canine companions are now available from the Pirate Emporium along with a truly fearsome ship set, new ways to purchase and plenty more!
Dogs are the pet of choice for pirates who want at least one loyal crewmate.
Alsatians bred for the Sea of Thieves are loyal, clever and barely get seasick at all.
- Domino Alsatian - 499 | Full of enthusiasm, this dog will follow you into any adventure.
- Russet Alsatian - 499 | Full of enthusiasm, this dog will follow you into any adventure.
- Saddleback Alsatian - 499 | Full of enthusiasm, this dog will follow you into any adventure.
- Stalwart Alsatian - 499 | Full of enthusiasm, this dog will follow you into any adventure.
- Snowy Alsatian - 499 | Full of enthusiasm, this dog will follow you into any adventure.
This quick and playful breed is perfect for a pirate who never stops.
- Silverfoot Whippet - 499 | Whippets run as fast as a cannonball and destroy about the same amount.
- Streaked Whippet - 499 | Whippets run as fast as a cannonball and destroy about the same amount.
- Fawn Whippet - 499 | Whippets run as fast as a cannonball and destroy about the same amount.
- Redback Whippet - 499 | Whippets run as fast as a cannonball and destroy about the same amount.
- Ashpaw Whippet - 499 | Whippets run as fast as a cannonball and destroy about the same amount.
Inus are big, bouncy bundles of fun, but take days to dry out after a swim.
- Coral Inu - 499 | If you're allergic to dog fur, you'll sense this exciteable fuzzball coming long before you see it.
- Smoky Inu - 499 | If you're allergic to dog fur, you'll sense this exciteable fuzzball coming long before you see it.
- Chocolate Inu - 499 | If you're allergic to dog fur, you'll sense this exciteable fuzzball coming long before you see it.
- Mudraker Inu - 499 | If you're allergic to dog fur, you'll sense this exciteable fuzzball coming long before you see it.
- Cotton Boll Inu - 499 | If you're allergic to dog fur, you'll sense this exciteable fuzzball coming long before you see it.
Pet Outfits for Dogs
- Alsatian Bilge Rat Outfit - 249 | Does it make your dog look tough or adorable? Why not both?
- Whippet Bilge Rat Outfit - 249 | This rugged outfit will help your Whippet race into the action with confidence.
- Inu Bilge Rat Outfit - 249 | Give your Inu a rough-and-tumble look to put some edges on all that fluff.
- Alsatian Sovereign Outfit - 249 | Now that's an Alsatian ready for parade! Splendid.
- Whippet Sovereign Outfit - 249 | Let your Whippet enjoy a touch of refinement between muddy puddles.´
- Inu Sovereign Outfit - 249 | This outfit is for the most dignified and delightful of doggies.
- Alsatian Kraken Outfit - 249 | Your Alsatian is the perfect guard dog against the toughest of sea monsters!
- Whippet Kraken Outfit - 249 | This peg-legged Whippet outfit expresses a hunger for both revenge and Kraken meat.
- Inu Kraken Outfit - 249 | A tough, Kraken-inspired outfit with only a hint of wet dog smell.
- Alsatian Pirate Legend Outfit - 249 | This outfit is perfect for a Legend's Alsatian, that needs a costume transformation. | Requires Pirate Legend title.
- Whippet Pirate Legend Outfit - 249 | A legendary outfit for a special Whippet, just remember your dog is sure to rip it. | Requires Pirate Legend title.
- Inu Pirate Legend Outfit - 249 | Clothes for a truly legendary dog, plus they're easy to spot in the fog. | Requires Pirate Legend title.
- Alsatian Ghost Outfit - 249 | In this glowing outfit, your Alsatian possesses a certain eerie elegance. | Requires Champion of Athena's Fortune title.
- Whippet Ghost Outfit - 249 | In such an ethereal outfit, your Whippet will never look 'ruff'. | Requires Champion of Athena's Fortune title.
- Inu Ghost Outfit - 249 | Spooky but stylish, your Inu will guard you from otherworldly dangers. | Requires Champion of Athena's Fortune title.
Grab yourself and Inu, a Whippet and an Alsatian and a fetching Bilge Rat Outfit for each!
- Total Bundle Cost - 1,249
- Snowy Alsatian
- Alsatian Bilge Rat Outfit
- Silverfoot Whippet
- Whippet Bilge Rat Outfit
- Coral Inu
- Inu Bilge Rat Outfit
Buy a handsome Alsatian with a Sovereign outfit and you'll be 'best on shore'.
- Dog Dance Emote - 0 | Time-limited price | This dance captures the true essence of doggy delight. Someone fetch a beat!
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Blunderbuss - 249 | Megalodon hunters favour this gun because it can't miss... when you're harpooned to a Megalodon.
Get two Shrouded Ghost Hunter Costume options to express your hatred for all things Megalodon.
- Total Bundle Cost - 999
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Costume (White-Skinned) - Bundle Only | Some pirates become so obsessed with finding the Shrouded Ghost that they take on its appearance.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Costume (Plain) - Bundle Only | Hunt down pirates and Megalodons alike in a costume adorned with grisly trophies.
This bundle includes four Hunter's Call themed emotes for hunters, chefs and pirate foodies.
- Total Bundle Cost - 499
- Salt Bay Emote - 149 | A special salting technique pioneered by Hendrick, scattering the salt like sand on a bay...
- Toothpick Emote - 149 | A real pirate picks his teeth clean with a knife. Megalodon meat is really tough!
- Tracking Emote - 149 | Track your prey like a true hunter, sniffing any suspicious markings. Now that's bravery.
- Knife Trick Emote - 149 | You're a master of knife tricks, picked up from hunting, cooking and not being able to dance.
Own the Shrouded Ghost Hunter ship set, a livery scary as your prey! Excludes Collector's variants.
- Total Bundle Cost - 2,499
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Figurehead - 599 | With this great spear on your prow, at least the Shrouded Ghost will know you mean business.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Sails - 599 | Bold, dramatic sails that also provide a handy reminder of what you're hunting.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Hull - 349 | The crossed spears of dedicated shark hunters adorn this pale hull.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Wheel - 349 | Perhaps the shark's jaws that adorn this wheel will help it steer towards your ocean prey.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Cannons - 349 | Adorned with primal spears, these cannons are ready to take down nature's most elusive monster.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Capstan - 349 | A vicious capstan that is best used on a ship with a very tidy, dry, slip-free deck.
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Flag - 349 | This flag is raised by Shrouded Ghost hunters; here is a crew that has chosen to dance with doom.
Collector’s Ship Pieces
- Collector’s Shrouded Ghost Hunter Figurehead - 799 | Three spears stained with Shrouded Ghost blood - truly for a crew of merciless and peerless hunters!
- Collector’s Shrouded Ghost Hunter Sails - 799 | A starkly-coloured set of sails that will terrify any foe, let alone that elusive megalodon.
Complete the fearsome ship set earned from the Hunters of the Deep event.
- Total Bundle Cost - 899 | Time-Limited Price
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Cannons
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Capstan
- Shrouded Ghost Hunter Wheel
Commendations, Achievements & Titles
Wayfinder Voyage Commendations
- Hoarder of Vault Keys → Find 50 Gold Hoarder Treasure Vault Keys
- Grade I - 3 Keys
- Grade II - 15 Keys
- Grade III - 25 Keys
- Grade IV - 35 Keys
- Grade V - 50 Keys
- Seeker of Ancient Vaults → Open 100 Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults using a Vault Key | Unlocks the Ancient Vault Sails for purchase
- Grade I - 3 Vault
- Grade II - 10 Vaults
- Grade III - 25 Vaults
- Grade IV - 50 Vaults
- Grade V - 100 Vaults
- Hoarder of Ancient Tributes → Return 50 Chests of Ancient Tributes to the Gold Hoarders | Unlocks the Ancient Tribute Sails for purchase
- Grade I - 3 Chest
- Grade II - 15 Chests
- Grade III - 25 Chests
- Grade IV - 35 Chests
- Grade V - 50 Chests
- Reaper of Ancient Tributes → Sell 20 Chests of Ancient Tributes to the Reaper's Bones
- Grade I - 3 Chests
- Grade II - 5 Chests
- Grade III - 10 Chests
- Grade IV - 15 Chests
- Grade V - 20 Chests
The following are all the new Titles made available:
|Hoarder of Ancient Tributes||Return 50 Chests of Ancient Tributes to the Gold Hoarders.|
|Seeker of Ancient Vaults||Open 100 Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults using a Vault Key.|
New Xbox and Steam achievements can be unlocked by progressing through the new in-game Commendations. A total of 50 Gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and these achievements will remain in the game indefinitely.
- Golden Retriever [25G] - Open three Treasure Vaults with gold vault keys.
- No Mound Left Behind [10G] - Pick up all the mounds of gold inside a Treasure Vault.
- Don't Need Maps [15G] - Find a Vault Key using only 1 piece of Torn Map Parchment.
The Content Update video: